Terms & Conditions
Please carefully read and review the Terms and Conditions on this page before signing up for PayHack 2023 24-Hour Hackathon. The PayHack 2023 24-Hour Hackathon event ("Hackathon”) is organised by PayNet (“Organiser” or “We”). The Hackathon is governed by the terms and conditions (including any amendments made thereto by the Organiser from time to time) herein contained (“Terms and Conditions”). By registering for this Hackathon, it shall be deemed that you have read, understood and accepted the Terms and Conditions. The term “you” refers to you, the “Participant”.
- The objective of the Hackathon is to provide an opportunity for the Participants to develop new and innovative solutions to accelerate the digital payments ecosystem in Malaysia from 4 different aspects such as Security & Fraud, Efficiency, Sustainability and/or Financial Inclusion.
The Hackathon is free to participate but shall be under registration and subject to the following minimum conditions:
- All Participants must be 18 years old and above, and the event is open to only teams from Malaysia. This includes Malaysian citizens and those who are currently based in Malaysia and have a valid Malaysian PR or work/student visa.
- This is strictly a team competition. The Participants must apply in teams of a minimum of 3 or maximum of 5 members; with at least 1 coder, to build a working software prototype. You are required to nominate 1 member as the Team Leader.
- Each team may only submit one (1) entry to participate in the Hackathon.
- Each Participant must bring, supply or use his/her own laptop/equipment during the Hackathon.
- Interested teams are required to apply online via jomhack.com/payhack-apply/ before 22 May 2023.
- All successful registrations will receive an e-mail confirmation within 7 working days after signing up. We reserve the right to reject your registration to participate in this Hackathon for any reasons whatsoever at our sole and absolute discretion.
- This Hackathon is limited to only shortlisted Participants, on a first come first serve basis, so register early in order to not miss out.
- The following group of persons shall not be eligible to participate in the Hackathon:
- (i) Permanent and/or contract employees of PayNet and/or their immediate family members (i.e. spouses, children, parents, brothers and sisters) and their representatives and/or agents and their immediate family members (i.e. spouses, children, parents, brothers and sisters); and
- (ii) Advertising & promotion agents and vendors who are directly involved with this Hackathon.
- All confirmed Participants will be required to attend a Virtual Pre-Hack Briefing on 22 May 2023 at 8.00pm (GMT+8).
- All Participants will be required to attend the Physical Hackathon between 27 - 28 May 2023, which will begin with Registration at 8.00am (GMT+8) on 27 May 2023.
- All teams must start coding fresh during the Hackathon. All teams are not allowed to pre-code anything or work on existing projects. All teams are allowed to work with open source resources that are publicly available.
- All teams are allowed to develop solutions in any programming language or framework, whether on mobile or web platforms.
- The entire Hackathon will be facilitated at the physical venue. All teams will receive mentorship and guidance from the Organisers in person to enable them to complete their projects and submit the final work within the deadline.
- All projects must be completed for the 1st round of evaluation on or before 10.00am (GMT+8) on 28 May 2023. Each team is allowed to submit only one (1) entry.
- The entry will be judged considering the following criteria:
- Good design; and
- Technical ability to execute.
- The Panel of Judges for Round 1 will shortlist the top 10 teams who will go to the Grand Finals.
- The top 10 teams must be available and will be presenting their respective projects on stage to the Organiser’s panel of Grand Judges on 28 May 2023. In the event of a tie, the Grand Judges will deliberate to determine the winner.
- Winners may be subjected to a code-review during or after the event if there are any disputes.
- The Judges and Grand Judges’ decision is final and no appeal or communication in this regard shall be entertained.
- Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture or partnership relationship between you or your team and the Organiser.
- The Champion will receive Twenty Thousand MYR (RM20,000) in Cash, Trophies & Winners Certificates.
- The 2nd Prize winner will receive Fifteen Thousand MYR (RM15,000) in Cash, Trophies & Winners Certificates.
- The 3rd Prize winner will receive Five Thousand MYR (RM5,000) in Cash, Trophies & Winners Certificates.
- 4th - 10th placed teams will receive a Consolation Prize of One Thousand MYR (RM1,000) in Cash & Winners Certificates.
- The Organiser reserves the absolute right to substitute the prize with other item(s) of similar values at any time with prior notice by means of communication that may deemed appropriate by the Organiser. The prizes shall be given on an “as is” basis.
- The Organiser shall not be liable in any circumstances for any loss, defacement, tear, and damage, expired or stolen Prize. Any request for replacement of such loss, defaced, torn, damaged, expired or stolen Prize shall not be entertained by the Organiser.
- The Organiser reserves the absolute right to request for proof of identification of any winner before the Prize is collected.
- In the event after the solution-review, the Organiser and/or the Judges are of the view that the project developed by the Winners are not original work and/or infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party, the Organiser reserves the right to forfeit the Cash Prize awarded to the Winners.
- Except where prohibited, by participating in the Hackathon, the Participant hereby confirms and consents to the use of his/her name, photo, biographical information, entry and statements attributed to the Participant for advertising and promotional purposes, including without limitation to the Organiser’s website, portal, newsletters, social media accounts or outlets without additional compensation.
- The Participant also consent to co-operate with and participate in publicity activities related to the Hackathon organised by the Organiser, at their own expense without compensation whatsoever.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- You hereby confirm and agree that all work presented during the Hackathon is original work and does not and will not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any third-party patents, copyrights or trademarks.
- All Intellectual Property rights to the designs and codes of the app/prototype developed at this Hackathon are wholly owned by the teams, but you will grant the Organiser the first right of refusal to acquire the intellectual property right, title and interest to the app/prototype presented at the Finals in the event you wish to transfer in whole or in part, such right, title and interest at any point in time.
- You undertake to indemnify the Organiser against all costs, expenses, charges, demands, claims, actions, losses and damages which the Organiser may suffer or sustain as a result of any claim that your project or working prototype is illegally obtained or unauthorised, or that any third party’s intellectual property rights or proprietary rights have been infringed.
- By participating in this Hackathon, you acknowledge the confidentiality of all information and documents which have been shared with you throughout the Hackathon including the Virtual Pre-Hacking Briefing.
- During the whole duration of the Hackathon, you will not directly or indirectly use or share any information with any third party, unless such third party has obtained a written authorisation to do so and delivered by the Organiser prior to this.
- This applies to any information shared by the Organiser to you. The confidentiality agreement is valid for twelve (12) months from the start of the Hackathon event you attend.
- By participating in this Hackathon, you consent to the Organiser processing and storing your personal data in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA 2010”).
- The Organiser may share, disseminate or distribute any of your personal data without consent if required to do so under any applicable law, court ruling or administrative body of competent jurisdiction.
- You acknowledge that you may be screen captured, photographed and filmed during this Hackathon. You agree and consent that any images or videos taken during the Hackathon will be used by the Organiser to promote this event, any future events, in press releases, printed publicity and across all digital marketing platforms.
CANCELLATION & POSTPONEMENT
- We further reserve the rights to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of any actual and anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulations or or any other event outside of the Organiser’s control.
- You agree to access this website at regular intervals to view the terms and conditions and ensure to be kept up-to-date on any change or variation to this document.
- For the avoidance of doubt, you are not entitled to any claim or compensation against the Organiser for any or all losses or damages suffered or incurred whether directly or indirectly, as a result of any postponement or cancellation of the event.
DISCLAIMER, INDEMNITY AND RIGHT OF THE ORGANISER
- The Participants understand and agree that the access to the Hackathon Page and the participation in the Hackathon is solely at his/her own risk and the Participants agree to assume full responsibility and agree that the Organiser shall not under any circumstances be liable to any Participants or other person whether in tort, contract, statute or otherwise for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage and costs, and for damages for any loss of profit or revenue or otherwise, arising out of or in connection to any use of, access to, participation or inability to use or access or participate in the Hackathon or the Hackathon Page and that the Organiser makes no warranty or representation of any kind, including but without limitation to the following:
- (i) the continuous, uninterrupted and error-free operation of the Hackathon;
- (ii) the accuracy of the information or statement provided herein;
- (iii) freedom from any actual, direct, indirect, incidental or consequential loss, destruction, damage, corruption, attack, interference, hacking, or other security intrusions whatsoever; or
- (iv) the security and freedom from any computer viruses or other contaminating or harmful properties.
- The Participants acknowledge and agree that to the fullest extent permitted by law, the Organiser disclaims any and all liabilities for any claims for damages, losses, costs and/or expenses arising from or connected with the participation of the Hackathon.
- The Organiser shall not be liable for any default in respect of the Hackathon due to any act of God, war, riot, strike, lockout, industrial action, fire, flood, storm, technical, pandemic outbreak, government lockdown order or system failures or any event beyond the reasonable control of the Organiser.
- The Participant is responsible to take appropriate measures to protect his/her own data and/or software located on his/her laptop/equipment, against any violation. The Participant’s connection to the Hackathon website and his/her participation is made under his/her sole responsibility. The Organiser shall not be held responsible for any infection by potential viruses on the Participant’s computer equipment, or of the intrusion of a third party on his/her system.
- The Organiser shall not be held responsible if, for any reason, data and information related to a Participant’s registration does not reach the Organiser or is illegible or impossible to process.
- The Organiser reserves the right to exclude or disqualify any Participant who disrupt the Hackathon’s smooth running. We reserve the right to use any resources, including legal action against anyone suspected of cheating, falsifying, or disrupting the process described in the Terms and Conditions, or suspected of attempting to accomplish/carry out such actions. Any Participant who is deemed by the Organiser or the Organiser has reason to suspect the Participant has disrupted the Hackathon in any ways mentioned above will be deprived of the right to participate or obtain any prize and no claim will be accepted or entertained.
- Under no circumstances shall the Organiser be liable to any loss and/or damage incurred by any party (including without limitation to the loss of income, profits or goodwill whether the same be direct or indirect, incidental, consequential, exemplary or punitive) nor shall the Organiser be liable for any special damages to any party including third parties howsoever arising whether in contract, tort, negligence or otherwise, in connection with the Hackathon and/or the prize(s), even if the Organiser have been advised of the possibility of such loss and/or damages in advance, and all such loss and/or damages have been expressly excluded.
- The Organiser reserves the absolute right to change, amend and/or vary the mechanics of the Hackathon and/or vary any of these Terms and Conditions from time to time with prior notice either by displaying on this website and/or other means of communication that may deemed appropriate by the Organiser. If any future modifications of these Terms and Conditions are unacceptable to the Participants, they should discontinue any further participation.
- For any further enquiries, please contact us at facebook.com/jomhackmy/ or e-mail us at [email protected].
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of Malaysia and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Malaysia.
- This event is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
- You are solely liable for any costs including expenses and taxes associated with the acceptance and/or use of the prizes.